1) Working with the giant.nif as a base I take it into 3DS Max 2012. (Don't really know which import settings I need for animated meshes)
2) I edit the giants mesh to give him a shorter torso, more Ogre shaped head, remove the beard, etc.
3) Export the mesh ( Once again need a little advice on the settings to use)
4) Open it up in NifSkope and fix anything that the exporter broke. Attach the appropriate texture files.
5) Alter the giants texture file to remove the beard, change skin color, etc.
6) Make a new instance of the actor using the giant mesh and using the Giant Skeleton as a template for animations.
Now, I'm sure I left something out, but if anyone would like to help me figure out this process I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I need to know which version of the 3DS Max 2012 import/exporter is most effective (least buggy).